Friday, August 23, 2013


Field Hockey Serendipity


Serendipity - the faculty or phenomenon of finding valuable or agreeable things not sought for.

I recently found myself kneeling in the garage with a cutting board and a butcher knife, doing surgery on a garden hose. The duct tape I had used to repair multiple leaks in a large section of it no longer held back the flow of water. I was planning on cutting away the leaky section, reinstalling the nifty replacement ends, and joining it to a newer hose that I had recently adopted from a friend who was moving out of state. The old hose, probably the Cadillac of hoses when new, was left behind by the previous owners of our first house...which we bought in 1983...

You might be wondering how I had gotten to this place, of salvaging a thirty-year-old hose, when I live in such a disposable society. I asked myself the same question. How did I get here? The answer: field hockey serendipity.

My youngest daughter got it into her head at an early age that she wanted to play field hockey. She went to the middle school camps for the sport and played all four years in high school. She became a good, solid field hockey player, with both skill and enthusiasm for the game. When it came to applying to colleges, she thought she might like to play at the college level. There were only a few colleges in the midwest that had field hockey teams – it's really an east coast sport – so there were only a few schools to look at if she wanted to be part of a team. One was a small Quaker college in Indiana. We went for a visit, and as I was listening to the campus tour guide, I realized that I knew very little about Quakers. If there was a chance my baby might end up in a Quaker school, I thought I had better find out about the spiritual climate I was sending her into. I went home, hit the library, and read up on everything Quaker. Well, daughter opted for Big Ten and big city over small town and field hockey in her final college choice, but I had been started on a journey to repairing thirty-year-old garden hoses...

After I read parts of the more doctrine-oriented texts in the Quaker section of the library bookshelf, I picked up a near-by book by Scott Savage - A Plain Life: Walking My Belief. This was an interesting account of a contemporary Quaker, living a “plain” life with his wife and children, and walking across the state of Ohio to turn in his driver's license as a symbol of stepping back from the world of technology. I looked to see if he had written any other books and found he had edited The Plain Reader: Essays on Making a Simple Life. This was a compilation of essays by a variety of people who had spoken at the Second Luddite Congress in Barnesville, Ohio in 1996. (The closest thing to a “first” Luddite Congress took place in 1812 as a reaction of traditional craftsmen against the coming industrial revolution.)

The Plain Reader changed my life. Well, not really changed it as much as brought out in me a somewhat dormant hereditary tendency to live more simply. The book introduced me to Bill McKibben and his wonderful writings encouraging a less consumer-based economy. (Hundred Dollar Holiday is a great book on simplifying Christmas. Deep Economy challenges one to imagine a gentler way of living in the material world.) The Plain Reader also introduced me to Wendell Berry, and led me to his non-fiction writings examining the spiritual and relational joys of living a simpler life, close to the land, surrounded by “family”. His novels took these same themes and wove beautiful stories of families and neighbors in a small farming town in the south. (Great reading!) Words like “green” and “simple” now attracted me to other reading, causing me to examine my life and my possessions and how I viewed “my stuff”. Already a composter and a recycler, I looked for more ways to reuse and not acquire additional things that I really didn't need. I came to appreciate more the things I do have.

I've always loved acquiring new knowledge and I'm particularly intrigued by the sometimes circuitous and unexpected pathways to that new knowledge. I did enjoy my years as a field hockey mom, watching my daughter play that fast-paced game with the ambiguous rules. But I am most grateful for the serendipitous way that field hockey lead me to a better way of seeing life. And I now have a thirty-year-old garden hose that no longer leaks...


A society in which consumption has to be artificially stimulated in order to keep production going is a society founded on trash and waste, and such a society is a house built upon sand. - Dorothy Sayers

No comments:

Post a Comment