Tuesday, June 18, 2013

In the Garden - Update


For anyone who was interested in the square foot gardening series I did in May, I've posted some photos of my garden's progress below with commentary.

The season has been a little strange so far, too cool for the tomatoes and peppers, too warm for the peas, pak choi and broccoli rabe. Lettuce has been good, however. The zucchini, patty pan squash and butternut squash are also waiting for more heat. They've sprouted, but haven't really grown much yet. I took advantage of today's cool, bug-less weather to weed, cultivate and mulch my garden with compost. Then I decided to take some pictures...


Kentucky Wonder Pole beans to the left; the heirloom Triumph de Farcy bush beans to the right.


Great leaf lettuce - Flame and Simpson Elite.  The spinach and pak choi on the left have started to bolt after a few hot days  without producing much.  I did have some pak choi tonight at dinner - very tasty sauteed with olive oil and leftover chicken!


Nine California Wonder pepper plants and nine alpine strawberry plants.


The herb frame - chives, sage, French tarragon, cilantro, thyme and Greek oregano.  I'd like to plant my Italian parsley here, but the rabbits are back....!!!

Overall view of the garden.  The rabbits are back, and though I haven't seen any deer yet, they usually show up sometime in the summer, so the fencing is up for the vulnerable crops.  The squash is barely up on the mounds to the right and left of the center cage.

 I usually plant my basil, marjoram, and parsley in large pots on the deck so I can bring them into the house in the winter.  I also plant them on the deck so the rabbits and deer can't get at them.  What you see is the devastation of some critter, possibly a raccoon, most likely a squirrel, that dug out my six Italian parsley plants and scattered them on the deck.  Where are the coyotes when I need them...?

Five different kinds of tomato plants - Jelly Bean, Roma, Black Krim, VF, and 4th of July.  Snow peas in the fencing on the right.  That's broccoli rabe going to (yellow) flower in the rear

I like reading your blog, Mom...except for the gardening ones – boring..."
- son, who will remain unnamed, but not anonymous...



No comments:

Post a Comment